Click here for the Wooden Spoon Shop with merchandise that ranges from stylish polo-shirts to trendy fleeces & t-shirts
The School's appeal coincided with the plea at the 2005 Spoon conference for the Regions to consider more innovative projects when considering appeals for financial assistance. This certainly fit the bill as it allowed the school to qualify for Special School Status in Humanities. The Wooden Spoon donation has been spent a brand new Media Centre, fitted out with a recording studio and space to develop drama and communication skills. Kent Honorary President, Mick Skinner, formally opened the Media Centre in June.
At the opening the pupils gave demonstrated song writing, drama and other communication skills. Students will now be able to take part in a range of exciting curriculum initiatives. Already they are working with the Creative Arts department to:
• Participate in the recording of a regular arts review programme which focuses on the review and appraisal of students' creative output in Art, Music, Drama and English.
• Produce a CD of songs which Year 11 students have currently written about themselves and their experiences both in and out of school; this has given students an opportunity to express themselves through song writing and music production without fear of judgement or condemnation.
• Develop a radio programme-making project that now consists of various radio teams: News, Entertainment, Creative, Presenters which are meeting on a regular basis to produce programmes that will eventually be streamed onto the school's website.
• Develop the school's media team that is enhancing its news-making and interviewing skills.
• Record drama productions such as the school's latest development of a South London adaptation of a Greek tragedy
• Offer to the local community, both residents and schools, recording facilities and enhance the school's positive contribution to Downham.
Company No 1847860 Registered in England 115-117 Fleet Road, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 3PD.
Reg Charity in England and Wales No: 326691, Scotland No: SC039247